Call for Local Teaching Artists
Main IDEA is currently recruiting local black, indigenous, people of color and Latino/a/e artists with specialties in drawing and painting to join our paid Resident Teaching Artist program. Through this program, artists will use their art medium to build connections with youth in Worcester, MA, through weekly arts programming.
This position will entail designing and implementing in-person, weekly art workshops for one or more of the following After School Art Clubs:
- Monday’s 2:30pm-4pm at Goddard Elementary School
- Wednesday’s 2pm-3:30pm at Woodland Academy
- Once a month on Friday’s 3:30-5pm in Worcester (Location TBC)
Resident Teaching Artists will be compensated at $18/hour, paid monthly via check.
As Main IDEA’s focus is the youth we serve, potential resident artists must demonstrate an investment in youth work and in the Worcester community. Priority will be given to BIPOC and Latino/a/e artists, as Main IDEA seeks to hire artists that will best reflect and represent the youth who partake in our programs.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualities:
- Experience working with youth
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Specialty in painting (acrylic and/or watercolor) and drawing, strongly preferred
- Can provide their own transportation to/from programming
- Must be available weekly for the duration of the program
Outcomes of Program:
Through this program, artists will:
- Create an arts curriculum & lead youth through an art class
- Cultivate positive relationships with all program participants
- Equip participants with the tools needed to become leaders and professional artists
- Use the arts to enhance their mentorship role with Main IDEA youth
- Facilitate an environment which prioritizes youth voices and encourages their independence and creativity
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, and we will contact you to set up an interview.