Call for Local Teaching Artists
Main IDEA is currently recruiting local black, indigenous, people of color and Latino/a artists with specialties in drawing and painting to join our paid Resident Teaching Artist program. Through this program, professional artists will use the arts to build connections with youth in Worcester, MA, through weekly arts programming.
This position will entail hosting one or more programs per month and developing a curriculum for each. Each program is one hour long. Depending on the artist’s schedule, opportunities vary from hosting one class per month to one per week. Summer 2021 programs will be conducted in-person, Monday–Thursday from 3pm-4pm, with opportunity to create Specialty Workshops on Saturday’s. The artist will receive a stipend of $100 per program and will be one of Main IDEA’s featured artists for the duration of their residency.
As Main IDEA’s focus is the youth we serve, potential resident artists must demonstrate an investment in youth work and in the Worcester community. Priority will be given to BIPOC applicants, as Main IDEA seeks to hire artists that will best reflect and represent the youth who partake in our programs.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualities:
- Experience working with youth
- Bilingual (Spanish/English), highly preferred
- Specialty in painting (acrylic and/or watercolor) and drawing
Outcomes of Program:
Through this program, artists will:
- Create an arts curriculum & lead youth through an art class
- Cultivate positive relationships with all program participants
- Equip participants with the tools needed to become leaders and professional artists
- Use the arts to enhance their mentorship role with Main IDEA youth
- Facilitate an environment which prioritizes youth voices and encourages their independence and creativity
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, and we will contact you to set up an interview.