Teen Summer Arts Leadership Program
View our 2020 Teen Leaders Here!
(Para español, haga clic aquí)
Goal: To develop young leaders through the arts
Dates of Program: July 6 – Aug 8 (hours vary; see application)
- Ages 13-17
- Spanish Speaking skills preferred
- A passion for Main IDEA’s mission to empower youth through the arts
- Display a strong potential for senior leadership
Role: Emphasis will be placed on leadership training and development.
- Art Tutorial Videos: With assistance from their Adult Supervisor, Teen Leaders will be co-creating weekly 10-minute art tutorial videos as part of their duties for summer programming. Videos will feature instruction of an art form of their choice, depending on the intern’s expertise and interest. These art forms include but are not limited to visual art (various mediums), dance, drama, music, and creative writing. Teen applicants may request to participate specifically in their preferred arts class/classes.
- LIVE virtual Events/Programs: Teen Leaders will assist in co-creating/hosting live events and programs through online platforms, and implementing them into the summer program schedule. Examples include live arts workshops on Instagram and Facebook Live, Virtual Open Mics, Group hangouts/check-ins via Zoom, etc. Teen applicants may request to participate specifically in their preferred arts class/classes.
- Featured Artists: Teen Leaders will also have the opportunity to work weekly with an Adult Artist Mentor to create and work toward a set of artistic goals for the duration of the program. These art forms include but are not limited to visual art (various mediums), dance, drama, music, and creative writing. Teen participants will also have the opportunity to feature and promote their own original art on Main IDEA’s social media platforms and website.
- Social Media: Teen Leaders will assist with the management and promotion of Main IDEA’s social media platforms, including TikTok, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Graphic Design: Teen Leaders will also have the opportunity to apply for a Special Interest Program on Graphic Design; this study will include 2-4 hours a week of design mentorship / virtual co-working time and design framework (example templates, graphic assets, creative direction, feedback).
- Donation Drives & Fundraisers: Teen Leaders will assist in organizing and actively promoting donation drives and fundraisers for Main IDEA’s arts programs. This includes but is not limited to Main IDEA’s Annual Appeal and Wishlist.
- Staff Meetings for Teen Leaders will be held weekly via Zoom (time TBD). All Teen Leaders must RSVP to google invitations sent to them via email in order to confirm availability and attendance, as well as complete all assigned tasks prior to meetings.
During the week, Teen Leaders are expected to…
- Enthusiastically participate in all assigned arts classes and staff meetings
- Meet with their Adult Supervisor to debrief
- Shadow and assist an Arts Teacher
In Conclusion of the Internship, Teen Leaders are expected to…
- Provide feedback to Main IDEA regarding the Internship Program
- Receive an evaluation from their supervisor
- Receive an invitation to join Main IDEA’s Teen Advisory Board
All applicants must submit the following forms by June 31 in order to complete their application:
This program is supported in part by a grant from the Greater Worcester Community Foundation’s Youth for Community Improvement.